Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chapter Six

"Where are we going?" I asked Sidney, for probably the hundredth time. I've never been a big fan of surprises, I just find them unnecessary. A waste of my time. "We're almost here. Sorry, that it's so far away. It's just that if I go somewhere like Mario's then I get noticed a lot." "It's fine." I reassured him.

The car ride to the place we're going to was full of awkward moments and silence and laughter. It was different, he was different. There is something about Sidney Crosby that was...enchanting. Magical, almost.

"We're here." He stated, bringing me back to reality.

We ended up going to a coffee shop, after almost twenty minutes of driving. The coffee shop was called Little Joe's. It was just at the outskirts of Pittsburgh. The place looked abandoned, it was nothing like Starbuck's. The place looked lonely an uncared for on the outside, with withering flowers and tall grass practically dominating the place. The door had a sign that said Little Joe's that is going in a circular direction. While the outside of the shop looked untamed, the inside was better looking. The inside of the place had a real fireplace with fire burning and counters with delicious looking treats, and so many types of coffee, hot chocolate, lattes, mochas, tea, basically any type of drink you want can be found here. The place smelled of coffee beans, herbal plants, and caramel syrup. It was amazing. It was making me drool. While the place was small, and tight, it was warm and cozy and home-y.

"Wow. This place looks great." I whispered to Sidney. "Yea, the food and coffee tastes great too." He smiled at me.

"Hey Sid! Great game tonight, way to score a goal!" One of people behind the corner said. "Thanks. I'm happy that we won." He replied. "It's about time to end that ugly loosing streak." Sidney laughed at the comment. "Yeah, I think so too." He said. "Who's the little lady you have with you, Sid?" The man asked.

"Uh, Im Isabella. Call me Bella, though." I said to the strange guy. "Nice to meet you, darling. I'm Joe." He said. "Im guessing you're the owner?" I asked, already knowing the answer. He laughed, a big laugh. He almost sounded like Santa. "That's right! Sidney, she's a keeper." I looked at Sidney, and I saw him turn red. I laughed along, but not for the same reasons.

"I've never been to Canada. My parents been there, though." I answered him honestly. The last of my White Chocolate and Peppermint Latte was gone, and I was left with my banana bread. "Never been? Really? It's amazing there. You should really visit." He said. "Maybe I will." I told him. We looked at each other for a while, just taking in the silence. With Sidney, I didn't feel the need to try to fill in all the awkward silences, like I usually would on a date. It was almost comforting, the way the only thing you're hearing is yourself breathing and your heartbeats. In New York, that was almost impossible. There's always something going on in New York, it was never, ever quiet. It was the city that never sleeps, after all.

We continued to talk for what seemed like minutes, but really we went on for hours. We we're there until Joe decided to kick us out. There really wasn't anyone at Little Joe's, an occasional costumer would walk in a few times but no one that really stayed like me and Sidney. We ended up exchanging numbers and promising to call each other. And he ended up asking me out on a date again. "I had fun tonight, we should really do it again." was his exact words. Followed by, "Wanna, maybe hang out again? And I promise you this time, i'll take you out to a real dinner." And ended with his hands at the back of his neck and his eyes staring down at his shoes. Weird. He sounded more confident when he asked me out the first time. I replied with a simple smile and a casual "Sure."

I really shouldn't be back on my feet this fast, after that terrible heart ache that Owen gave me, I really thought that I would end up alone with tissues and cats all around me.

**Flashback.

"Why would you do that me, Owen? You said you loved me." I said, with tears running down my eyes. "Im sorry Iz, I was drunk. It was a stupid mistake. Something that I regret, and I wish I could do it over again." He whispered. holding my face with his two, wet hands. We were in the middle of the sidewalk, in the pouring rain. It would have been so much more romantic and better if he wasn't confessing, and I didn't find out the truth and we we're kissing. But sometimes life doesn't turn out the way you planned.

"Don't you dare call me 'Iz' You have no right to call me that." I spat at him. How could he? It was one thing to cheat on me, but another to cheat on me, and get the damn slut pregnant.

"I really am sorry, Bella." He said. "We are so over. I really hope you know that." I told him, and without any hesitation I turned around, walked away and swore to myself to never look back.


That was really the only reason why I left New York, the only reason I'm trying so hard to move on, the only reason why I sometimes just break down and start crying. Maybe I should get some help. I was happy to have left New York City, if I really thought about it; I never really belonged there. I really didn't have friends, just people I chose to waste my time with. I really had thought Owen was the "one". I really thought, that he was the guy I would spend the rest of my life with. The first person that I would see, when I wake up and the last person I would see before I go to sleep. I thought he was going to be the guy that would be in the altar waiting for me to walk down the aisle, the first and only man I would ever hear say "I do." and vowing himself to me. I thought he was going to be the father of my children, the man I would make breakfast for, the man I would kiss in the cheek every morning and telling him to have a good day. I guess I was wrong.

And if I'm not careful enough, I just might fall head over heels for Sidney Crosby. And that is not a good thing. Walls up, doors locked, I have a heart to protect.

1 comment: